Thursday, May 22, 2008

East Coast: Day 2

Photos from today are available: here


I tried to wake up early today, I really did - just didn't happen.
When I eventually woke up around 8, had my Cliff bar and I was out the door.

Took the Metro down to the Capitol area and headed into my representative's office for my Capitol Building tour. Since no one else showed up for the tour, I got a one-on-one personal tour of the Capitol by a staff member. The Capitol building is impressive. Absolutely beautiful interiors with intricate decorations that would rival any Cathedral or Church in Europe. Everything about the Capitol has been kept as close to the original as possible. So, you'd have to duck going through short staircases and deal with your balance as most of the steps have worked a dent into them from years of wear. The best part was probably watching a live session of the House of Representatives. There is something about grown men and women formally and properly arguing with each other that is so intriguing.

After my tour was complete, I walked out onto the Mall and see it stretch alllll the way down to the Lincoln memorial. Pretty amazing.

For lunch I had Indian food. No... probably not what you're thinking... I had American Indian food. :)



I had the banana leaf short ribs with guajilo peppers and huitlacoche (what those are, I have no idea) with a side of rice and "wild" greens; to drink I had a glass of Prickly pear and cactus juice. Wow. It was interesting, in a good way. :) The meat pretty much melted off the short ribs to reveal a striking, yet not overwhelming or bold taste. The prickly pear and cactus juice was vibrant in color but was not too sweet and proved to be a really refreshing pick me up.

Check out my (elite) yelp review: Mitsitam Cafe

After refueling, I continued down the Mall for a quick stop by the Air & Space museum. I wish I had more time to check out all the other really cool other museums but unfortunately I had to hurry to catch some more monuments.

The Washington monument is tall, by no means a record breaker in that area but its structure really stands out against the rest of the Mall. The white sandstone is absolutely beautiful when hit with sunlight or spotlights at night.

The World War II Memorial is a newer addition to the Mall but doesn't fail to impress.

My most familiar memory of the Lincoln Memorial is from "Forrest Gump". That one scene where "Jennayy" runs across the reflection pond to meet Forrest on stage. Yeah... the Lincoln is just like that, plus more! The statue of Lincoln is quite impressive, gives me the same feeling of vastness and awestruck wonder that Michaelangelo's David gave me. Its just so unrealistically BIG. The words of Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation are engraved on the sides of the monument, surrounding you with his legacy.

The Vietnam War memorial is truly emotional. Walking down into the ground, you get a glimpse of all the flowers, letters and flags others have left behind underneath the names of friends, spouses and family members. Reaching out my hand to feel the name on the dark granite made my heart sank. Its these names and others that have given up their lives that I can stand here and enjoy the great freedom and liberty that I have. Sorry for sounding like a total American citizen but with this place (along with the rest of DC) gives you a glimpse at how insane the founding fathers were to consider a government such as ours and the immense amount of sacrifice that goes into defending those ideals.

Okay, I'm done sounding like an American History teacher...

I wish I had more time in DC because there is so much more I want to see and experience beyond the 24 hours I did spend in the city.

I'm currently on the 7pm Acela train from DC to NYC, riding FIRST CLASS baby! woohoo! I'm livin' it up while I can :)
I'm digging the amenities that come with first class like a first class lounge before you board (with free snacks and wifi), pre boarding privileges, unlimited drink on-board and complimentary dinner.

Speaking of dinner, I had...


Braised chicken thighs in a white wine and green grape sauce, served with yellow rice and wilted spinach with a glass of Mirassu Chardonnay topped off with a Ghiradelli chocolate.

Well... I should be arriving in Penn station NY in about an hour. Hopefully, I'll have internet tonight to get this and the pics from today up.

EDIT: I've arrived safely in NY... I got out of Penn station and everyone and their mother is walking around the streets... what the... I guess they really mean it when they say New York is the city that never sleeps...

7 Comments:

Blogger e* said...

I really like your writing style!! I could almost see myself there...even up to the train dinner...which looks really good haha. What an awesome day, setting a high standard for the rest of your trip. ;)

P.S. huitlacoche is Spanish for corn smut...you gotta read this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huitlacoche

I <3 wikipedia haha...got me through one of my finals o_O

Thu May 22, 08:14:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

we have been following your trip, I took the train to Penn station some 20 yrs ago.

Glad you made it to NYC. Send my regard to Broadway.

Mom and I were there on the night Diana Ross had her concert in Central Park when it started to rain.

Thu May 22, 08:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger Harim said...

yay new york! :)

hehe reading your blog is like reading a book. the writing pulls me into the story.

Thu May 22, 11:05:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm really glad you liked the city. Reading this and seeing your pictures brings back lots of memories. Not only of my time in DC, but of traveling with you. Quit your job and lets go see the world!

Fri May 23, 04:15:00 AM PDT  
Blogger Lynsey said...

Pictures are amazing!

Fri May 23, 03:59:00 PM PDT  
Blogger d-vizz said...

Thanks for reading guys!

Fri May 23, 05:56:00 PM PDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I really liked DC. Maybe we should do a trip together next time. I'd love to go back and take photos all over the place.

I'm loving your SmugMug site, so much great content.

Sun May 25, 10:05:00 PM PDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home